Sunday, July 19, 2009

Time's Flying...

Here I am just hanging out in my normal spot in studio N....

A lot has happened in the last couple of weeks! I've been CLEARED in A2...meaning I can operate without supervision in the studio. My other jobs are coming along...they impact the show directly, therefore are taking me longer to clear.

I had my 30 day meeting with my supervisor Joe about a week ago. He's in charge of all the prod ops interns and says we're doing great and has heard nothing but good things about each of us. Speaking with him makes me really optimistic about my future in the business. He is full of good advice and encouragement.

One of the cool things I remember about my internship last summer at CBS was the immediacy of breaking news. Since I work for ESPN's 24/7 news network, if something happens...we're on top of it. Lately we've had some exciting stories you may have heard about--Steve McNair's death, the constant Favre watch (gag), Manny being Manny (aka, a tool bag), and my personal favorite Jeremy Mayfield--the meth-head.
Breaking news is fun and exciting...I love it! EXCEPT if it's during the late show.
If breaking news happens during the late show...and you're involved in it...I automatically hate you. We try to have the late show on tape and put to bed so we can all get out by 2am...BUT if breaking news happens...the A-Block has to be changed...changing the whooooole rest of the show.
You get the picture.
Oh the wonderful world of live TV and news...

In my last few weeks at ESPN I will be continuing to work towards clearing my other positions. I'll also have the opportunity to observe in Sportscenter and Content Edit, which I am really excited about! AND...the week after next...all the interns are going to ABC Studios in New York to meet with ESPN President George Bodenheimer. I'm excited to hear George's story--he started at the waaaaay bottom of the totum pole at the company...and look at him now! So cool.

As much fun as I am having at ESPN...the amazing people I have met...and as much as I am learning...I'll be glad to get home to SC to enjoy the rest of summer. I'm pretty sure the hottest day we've had up here so far has been 80 degrees (and there are no pools to be found in DT Hartford). Lame.

I'm also looking VERY MUCH forward to football season!!!! 47 days and counting...

No comments: